How to avoid Job Offer Scams?
The most common internet scams are job offers out of the blue which promises to pay you in advance in the form of a check.
You will then receive the check for large sums for you to deposit, the recruiter will then ask for you to send a portion back as a refund or pay somebody else they also have to pay.
Here is an example of a fake check that was received by one of our members.
She was kind enough to share it with us.
PROTECT YOURSELF AND REMEMBER THE FOLLOWING:
- Do not send money to any soul.
- Beware of any offers that is too good to be true. It's okay to be suspicious.
- Never wire funds or Western Union. This is a commong scam tactic.
- Don't accept checks and/or money orders becuase it will most likely bounce and banks will hold you responsible.
- Never give out your financial information like passport number, bank account, social security, paypal account, driver's license etc.
- Refuse background/credit checks until you have the employer face to face.